Growth in Prayer & Reflective Living (GRPL)
In person in Edinburgh
October 2023 – April 2024
This course aims to help participants develop and deepen their experience of prayer and live more reflectively. It offers the opportunity to explore faith, discover meaning and come to a deeper, more intimate, relationship with God.
It provides space to examine hopes and desires and to move towards fullness of life in ourselves, and those around us, in the global community to which we all belong.
We are excited to be able to offer this course in person this year.
Who is the course for?
The course is open to those of any denomination and none. No particular experience of prayer is required, only a desire for God. Participants should be prepared to share some of their experience of prayer with others. Because of the participatory nature of the course a commitment to regular attendance is important.
What previous participants have said:
- The regularity has helped create a focus and a rhythm in an otherwise quite chaotic life.
- I found the course very fulfilling
- New ways to think about God and about prayer
- God has become more approachable
- It has helped me see areas I can work with God in my prayer life and
it has made me more excited about prayer
- The course has slowed me down, made me take more time with God.
Participants are offered opportunity to:
- Experience different ways of praying taken from Ignatian and other spiritual traditions. These include coming to stillness, silent waiting, praying with scripture, imaginative contemplation and review of the day.
- Explore aids to prayer and reflection including journaling, artwork, body awareness, music and use of images.
- Develop and deepen awareness of different perceptions of God and self.
- Begin to discover a way of making prayerful choices in tune with God’s hopes and desires for the world through an introduction to Ignatian discernment.
The method is primarily experience based and reflective. Sessions include input, space for prayer, guided prayer and reflection and small group sharing. Participants are offered the opportunity of one-to-one spiritual accompaniment and towards the end of the course there is a short retreat.
This course will take place at
Christchurch Church Morningside,
6a Morningside Road,
Course Dates for 2023-2024
The course begins in October and ends shortly after Easter; it will be held on Thursday evenings 7.00 – 9.15pm.
Oct 26th / Nov 2nd / Nov 9th / Nov 16th / Nov 23rd / Nov 30th / Dec 7th / Dec 14th
Jan 11th / Jan 18th /Jan 25th / Feb 1st / Feb 8th
Feb 22nd / Feb 29th / Mar 7th / Mar 14th / Mar 21st / Apr 11th / Apr 25th
Friday April 19th 7.00pm – 9.15pm and Saturday April 20th 10.00am – 4pm.
The cost of the course is £434.
A registration fee of £50, deductible from the total cost, is payable when
an applicant is accepted. The balance may be paid in instalments.
This in-person course aims to help participants develop and deepen their experience of prayer and live more reflectively. It offers the opportunity to ask the deeper questions of life and to discover a closer connection with God. It provides space to examine the nature of our experience, and to move towards the fullness of life we long for in ourselves, in those around us and in the global community to which we all belong.
- Download GPRL-A4 flyer-Oct-2023 (PDF)
- Download GPRL print A5 Oct 2023 (PDF)
- Download GPRL Application Form 2023-24 (DOCX)
Places are limited. Please apply as soon as possible.
For more information please contact
Sharon Laidlaw Course Tutor
If you haven’t heard back from us in 7 days please get in touch again
and also check your SPAM folder.
CLOSING DATE 30TH SEPTEMBER
Once we have received your application you will be invited for an informal interview .
The Epiphany Group (EG) is keen that no-one should be excluded from our courses for financial reasons. We encourage applicants to seek funding from other sources and can offer suggestions on this.
Do also contact us at the above address if you wish to make a donation towards helping someone else
take part in the course.
There is also a limited EG Bursary and Development Fund, supported by donations, which is available to those in need of assistance.
Application for Bursary (DOCX)
A follow up course is offered by Ignatian Spirituality Centre
for those who have completed GPRL.